Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Aunty Carol's Chicken & Twice Baked Potatoes

I'm back in the kitchen! After a hectic weekend of wedding festivities, I'm finally back home & re cooperating. I thought I was going to wake up Sunday and make my boyfriend & I brunch, but I thought wrong. Too lazy. Made scrambled eggs & bacon instead. I call this recipe "Aunty Carol's Chicken" b/c that's what my mom calls it. She got the recipe from her sister, and I have no idea how my aunt came across it. All it requires is Catalina Dressing & Chicken Tenders. I marinated the chicken in the dressing before work yesterday & put it in the fridge, where it sat all day. This also works well w/ other varieties of dressings. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. I've made Twice Baked Potatoes before & w/ this chicken recipe. I've always thrown ingredients together & never used an actual recipe. Well, I found one in my Country Cooking cookbook that is pretty much identical to what I had been doing. But, nonetheless, I wanted to try this recipe. *New Recipe Alert* This recipe calls for the (6 russet) potatoes to bake in the oven for 1 hour. So, I did this as soon as I got home. Make sure to poke holes in the potatoes! Scrub clean & place on baking sheet. I let those bake while I did various house activities: laundry, dishes, etc. When 1 hr was up I took them out to let cool. I posted pictures from my friend's wedding during this time. Once I thought they were cool enough I cut off a slice of one side of the potato & scooped out the insides and placed in bowl. Continue on remaining potatoes. Mash w/ 1/2 stick (4 tbsp) melted butter. Add 1 cup milk. Salt. Pepper. 1/2 block (4 oz) cheddar cheese. (I used sharp cheddar - that's all I had.) Bacon Bits - 3 tbsp. Chives - 3 tbsp. Minced Onion - 3 tbsp. I didn't realize I needed this & didn't have an onion chopped up so I wanted to use my dry minced onions. The canister said 1/4 cup minced = 1 cup fresh. I didn't know what to do, so I used 1 tbsp minced onion. Mix all those ingredients & add back into potato skins. Sprinkle w/ paprika & 2 oz (1/4 block) cheddar cheese. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. This is when I baked the chicken tenders. I put the potatoes on one half of the baking sheet & the chicken tenders on the other. I placed foil (& lifted edges) on the side w/ the chicken tenders to keep the dressing from going everywhere. So, the potatoes go back in the oven for another 25 minutes, along w/ the chicken tenders for the same 25 minutes. I made a salad consisting of lettuce, shredded sharp cheddar cheese (the remaining 2 oz left of the block), bacon bits, and homemade croutons. I whipped up another batch of the Buttermilk Ranch Dressing, which I think tasted better than the first. Homemade Croutons I got this recipe from my boyfriend's mother. He asked for these last night. All you do is take 2-4 pieces of bread (bread, hamburger buns, anything will work - preferably slightly stale) & break into bite size pieces. Place in single layer on toaster oven baking pan. Sprinkle generously w/ Morton's. Toast 5 minutes. I really make sure to watch these while they are going, b/c they will burn quickly. This turned out to be a very nice meal. I thought the potatoes had too much onion flavor. My boyfriend thinks they needed a little more flavor, like sour cream. Still tasted good though.

No comments: